Building Our Communities Globally
Manulife’s approach to corporate social responsibility around the world aligns with our focus on delivering strong, reliable, trustworthy and forward-thinking solutions for our clients and for the communities where we work.
Our 2009 Public Accountability Statement highlights our efforts in Canada, the United States and Asia to build stronger communities, promote health and wellness, enhance environmental sustainability and harness the power of volunteering in the community.
- Our employees contributed 58,000 volunteer hours in communities where we operate.
- We planted 48.7 million seedlings on 101,000 acres of forest land – and then planted a tree for each of our employees, agents and retirees around the world, to celebrate our 10th anniversary as a public company.
- We brought our aggregate, multi-year investments in renewable and energy-efficient projects to more than
- $3.4 billion.
- We supported important emergency relief projects and launched new micro-financing and micro-insurance initiatives in Asia.
- We were proud to receive numerous honours including being named one of the “Best Employers for New Canadians.”
Manulife’s corporate giving operates under a decentralized model that emphasizes giving back to the communities where it does business and encouraging employees to do the same. Local managers choose the area of focus for philanthropy, identify partners and determine how best to encourage employee involvement.